Head of Department Boy Ngobeni was born in Xihoko village , Limpopo Province. He studied a Bachelor's Administration Honours in Industrial Psychology at the University of Limpopo. He has an Advanced Certificate in Organisational Development with UNISA. He is currently studying towards a Masters degree in Leadership Performance and Change Management at the University of Johannesburg (coursework successfully completed, dissertation still to be submitted).
Ngobeni started his career in 1990 in the Public Service (Office of the Public Service Commission) and rose through the ranks to become the Head of the Gauteng Department of Education in 2009. He has worked for the South African Management Development Institute (SAMDI) from 2000 -2003. From 2003 until 2005 he was appointed Chief Director: Strategic HR and Auxiliary Support Services at the Gauteng Provincial Government (Office of the Premier). He joined the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism in 2006 as a Deputy Director- General (DDG) for Corporate Services. He was redeployed to the Gauteng Shared Services Centre (GSSC) in 2006 as a General Manager of Human Resource Services in the Gauteng Provincial Government (GPG).
In 2007 Ngobeni and his Talent Attraction Services Team was acknowledged as a winner of a platinum awards at the Premier's Service Excellence Awards for its contribution in e-Government (successfully introducing the Mobile Applications System, a tool that allows citizens to apply for jobs in GPG via cell phone technology). He joined the Gauteng Department of Education as the Acting DDG for Corporate Services and was at the same time the CEO of Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA), an entity responsible for co-ordinating skills development, Education and Training in GPG. He was subsequently appointed as the HoD for Department of Education.
He has been part of national projects such as: the establishment of South African National Academy on Intelligence (SANAI); transformation of the SA Sports Commission; HRD strategy for the Public Service; HIV/AIDS strategy for the Public Service; Change Management and Organisation Development in Limpopo's Department of Education, overseeing the Transformation and Restructuring process in GPG (2003) and Limpopo (1996) and was part of the team that implemented PERSAL system in Limpopo (1994).
In working his way up from an underprivileged background, he has developed a strong interest in the upliftment of the poor and disadvantaged. He is passionate about the education of an African child in particular. The following reflects his outstanding contribution to the education of the African child:
- Successive unqualified audit opinions incl a clean audit outcomes of predetermined objectives
- Successive improvement in matric results, to 87% as in 2013
- Successive improvement in literacy and numeracy, per ANA outcomes
- Turnaround of the education system in Gauteng with introduction on new district model
- MPAT acknowledgement as best practice Department in the public service (2013)
- Best Annual reporting in Gauteng by the SAIGA (2012/13)
- Special award for outstanding leadership (2014)
- Best HR performance in Gauteng (2012)
- Best IQMS implementation in the education sector
- Successive meritorious performance recognition and retention
- Establishment of a successful bursary scheme: Xihoko Circuit
- No 1 Education Department in South Africa (2010 & 2012)
- No Education District in South Africa (Sedibeng east @ 90%) in 2013
- Acknowledgement by the National Development Plan: parental program initiative
- Overseeing 100 000 staff complement and R3o billion budget
International exposure and network:
Mr Ngobeni is well travelled and has formulated international partnerships and networks. He lists the following countries amongst this he visited in his career:
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Malaysia, etc
- Strategic management and leadership
- Project and programme management
- Financial management
- People management
- Organisational development and change management
- Team building and social cohesion
- Managing in turbulent environments and globalisation
- Problem solving
- Integrity and honesty
- Political management
Mr Ngobeni is married with four children. He is a family man and enjoys socialising with family and friends. He has a passion for reading on leadership and change, and contribution to society.